Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bi-Weekly Update

Hello 2-3 Families,

I hope you've all had a great week.  I can't believe that next week is our last week before spring break!  Here is a look at what we have been up to the past 2 weeks....


PROGRESS REPORTS GO HOME!
Each child has an envelope in his/her backpack that contains trimester 2 progress reports! You will notice that the comments for this trimester have been stapled onto the report card.  This is a new format that we are trying out since it allows us to be free from character/word restrictions for how much information we can type.   I am very proud of the hard work that the students in 2-3 have been putting into their work.  Parents, you may see that some grades did not change or went down.  Please do not be alarmed by this.  The material the students have been learning has increased in difficulty since the first trimester.  Also, my expectations of the students have gone up so I am expecting more from their performance and effort.  I am looking forward to speaking with everyone at conferences next week!  If you need a reminder of your time, just let me know and I will email it to you!  Please remember that our conferences are only 20 minutes!  I love speaking with each of you and I will try my best to stay right on schedule during our conferences next week.  If there is anything we would need to speak about at length, I will gladly schedule additional time for another day! I look forward to seeing you next week!

IT'S ALL GREEK TO US!
Today we completed another Genius Hour project and this time we traveled to GREECE!  The kids spent the afternoon researching information about Greece, the history of the Olympics, Greek Mythology, food, animals, and fun facts.  Today the kids compiled their research and on Monday they will create their videos about what they studies   I will post them all on our blog once I have been able to upload them.  Such a fun and informative afternoon!!

AUSTRALIAN ANIMAL PROJECT
Just a reminder that the Australian animal projects will be due on April 2nd when we return from spring break.  Every student in the classroom has chosen an animal to research and create their own presentation about.  I am looking forward to learning more about these animals and seeing the kids' creativity come through in their projects.

PERIMETER AND AREA
Unit 9 in math has focused on measuring objects.  This week the kids learned about perimeter and area.  I explained the difference between these two types of measurements by telling the kids when thinking about perimeter, picture a fence going around a yard.  The fence goes around the yard and the perimeter is the measurement around the outside of something.  The area measures the amount of space inside an object.  Many of the students told me that they have area rugs inside different rooms of their homes.  I said when thinking about area, picture an area rug and that goes inside your home so when you measure the area, yo are measure the amount of space inside of an object.  Perimeter -- measures around the outside.  Area -- measures the amount of space inside.

SHARE YOUR SOLES SHOE DRIVE
At the beginning of the year, I mentioned a shoe drive project to help the kids show others around the world that they matter by donating their gently used shoes.  I am thrilled to say that the 'SHARE YOU SOLES' Shoe Drive will be taking place during the Just Move It! Challenge on Saturday, April 13th.  Please see the flyer below for all the necessary details.




Have a wonderful and safe weekend!

-Danielle



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!